FMCSA Declares Regulatory Relief for COVID-19 Emergency Response Operations
March 16, 2020
The Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration (FMCSA) posted details with respect to targeted, limited relief from Hours of Service (HOS) for COVID-19 emergency efforts on its website.
Please read FMCSA’s declaration carefully, paying close attention to the section that clarifies what qualifies for this emergency relief from HOS regulations.
This Emergency Declaration provides regulatory relief for commercial motor vehicle operations that are providing direct assistance in support of emergency relief efforts related to the COVID-19 outbreaks, including transportation to meet immediate needs for:
- Medical supplies and equipment related to the testing, diagnosis and treatment of COVID-19;
- Supplies and equipment necessary for community safety, sanitation, and prevention of community transmission of COVID-19 such as masks, gloves, hand sanitizer, soap and disinfectants;
- Food for emergency restocking of stores;
- Equipment, supplies and persons necessary to establish and manage temporary housing, quarantine, and isolation facilities related to COVID-19;
- Persons designated by Federal, State or local authorities for medical, isolation, or quarantine purposes; and
- Persons necessary to provide other medical or emergency services, the supply of which may be affected by the COVID-19 response.
Direct assistance does not include routine commercial deliveries, or transportation of mixed loads that include essential supplies, equipment and persons, along with supplies, equipment and persons that are not being transported in support of emergency relief efforts related to the COVID-19 outbreaks.